Sensory Lego Letters Preschool Activity
This is one of those easy to set up activities that packs in a lot of learning. Lego Letters playdough activity combines fine motor, sensory, and letter recognition practise into one simple preschool activity.
Sensory Lego Alphabet Activity:
- Lego bricks in a variety of lengths
- playdough (store bought or you can use homemade playdough)
- rolling pin, toy rolling pin, or can to roll the dough with
- Scrabble tiles or magnetic alphabet shapes
- Make the playdough into a ball and roll it out.
- Set out a selection of Lego bricks.
- Select several letters to practice.
- Choose one letter to start. Encourage your child to say the letter, then stamp the shape of the letter using Legos.
- After your child completes one letter, have them roll the playdough smoothly again and try to recreate another letter.
It can be helpful to start this activity with letters your child is most familiar with such as the letter their first name starts with.
With curved letters, it can be best to use smaller Lego pieces.Be sure to allow your child to come up with their own way to stamp the letter in the playdough. As long as they get the basic shape of the letter, there is no “right” or “wrong” way to create it. It can be tempting to step in and show them and you may need to show them how to do one as an example, but once they get the idea, step back and allow them to create.
Ways to expand this activity:
- Talk to the child about what the sound of that letter is and have them see if they can think of words that have that letter as their beginning sound.
- Numbers or shapes can be stamped into the playdough.
- Sing the alphabet song.
- Set out books about the alphabet.
Chicka Chicka Boom BoomDr. Seuss’s ABCAnimalia (MY PERSONAL FAVOURITE!)Touch and Trace ABC Board BookA is for Apple (Kids Trace-and-Flip)The Handmade AlphabetEating the AlphabetM Is For Maple: A Canadian Alphabet
You may be interested in some of our other preschool learning ideas:
Rainbow Playdough Counting and Colours Game
The post Sensory Lego Letters Preschool Activity appeared first on The Chaos and the Clutter.